Side Order sequence and their annual dues?

Ideas, Information and debate

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Side Order sequence and their annual dues?

Postby dedwood84 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:21 pm

Hi Brethren I am a Brother from Manchester, England.

I am a member of a Blue Lodge and Chapter both of which meet in Manchester. Very interested in joing the Mark, Rose Croix, R&SM and KT not all at the same time! Looking at doing it progressively over a few years.

Just really looking at which sequence other Brothers joind their side orders and which ones they bothered with and which ones they didn't and why, and how much they pay in dues/fees for each one?

I know the Scots and other countries join the Mark before they Chapter.
dedwood84

Re: Side Order sequence and their annual dues?

Postby middlepillar » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:42 pm

This is a question that comes up very frequently on this and other Forums

First of all there is no correct way or order to join other masonic orders, it depends on what you are interested in.

If you ask someone which order next and they are only in Chapter they will answer 9 out of 10 times Chapter! Ditto with Mark, Rose Croix and OSM, how can a member of only 1 progressive degree give you the advice you need?

You yourself should know what you are interested in and which orders appeal more to you, once you know this make enquiries of members if you can but refrain from asking 'which one do you recommend' unless they know you very well and they are in at least 80% of the Orders you are thinking of joining. Someone who knows you well Masonically and is in a lot of Orders should be in the best position to give you good advice.

My advice is ignore people who tell you to wait until this or that, if you feel ready and you know you can afford the time and the money then join whatever you want, in 30 years I have only ever met one or two telling me they wish they hadnt bothered with this or that order, I have met many, many brothers who say to me I wish I had joined this earlier!

Good luck on your journey!

By the way, you cannot join R&SM before you have joined Mark (You are already in Chapter)
There is nothing more easy than to come to the gate of truth; there is nothing more difficult than to enter it. This applies to most of the wise of this world. 'Louis Claude de St Martin'
middlepillar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dedwood84 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:49 pm

Thanks for the answer and I understand what you are getting at and where you are coming from. I have searched the forum however, I was more looking to get an idea of the fees and a guide on how many times each side order meets each year as this will have a more determining factor on which I join next.

Again thanks for the reply.
dedwood84

Postby eckywan2 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:10 pm

There is no one size fits all answer
In Scotland its all very much dependant on your own contacts and interests hence the numbers and cost of meetings will vary as per YOUR interests and you will find all sorts of differences La Plus Ca Change
Me ?? Lodge chapter ( briefly at chapter ) then more time in Lodge as progressing to RWM whilst chamberlain in Preceptory then chair there. So my circumstances meant I prioritised that which suited me , while also joining other "side orders" Cryptic Li C then SRIS which has become a main interest .
My point is its all up to you and others cost are irrelevant to yours Good luck or just guid LUX
eckywan2
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby middlepillar » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:23 pm

dedwood84 wrote:Thanks for the answer and I understand what you are getting at and where you are coming from. I have searched the forum however, I was more looking to get an idea of the fees and a guide on how many times each side order meets each year as this will have a more determining factor on which I join next.

Again thanks for the reply.

Most of the 'side' orders meet 3 times a year in England, some will meet 4 and the fees are a lot less than The Craft, depending where you live they range from £15.00 per year to £75.00 however this is my experience and I practice my Masonry in the South East and Home Counties, so frequency and fees could and probably are different elsewhere

Once again good luck
There is nothing more easy than to come to the gate of truth; there is nothing more difficult than to enter it. This applies to most of the wise of this world. 'Louis Claude de St Martin'
middlepillar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mindmagic » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:49 am

Mark is a prerequisite for R&SM (and also the Allied Masonic Degrees and the Operatives). I would suggest that you should join Mark first anyway, as it's an extension of the Craft.
Barry Cooper SLGR LGCR
Goliath Lodge No. 5595, London
Goliath Chapter No. 5595, London
MMM and RAM, Euclid No. 1748, London
AMD, Hertfordshire Council No. 107
mindmagic

Postby Richard George » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:40 am

.. And as I said on the other place, chapter is a prerequisite for KT
Richard George

Postby dedwood84 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Richard George wrote:.. And as I said on the other place, chapter is a prerequisite for KT

(1) (20) Sorry, being new to these forums I did not notice that there was some crossover.
dedwood84

Postby Richard George » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Oh don't worry about it! Just having a bit of fun. You'll find there's quite a few on both forums and it's not unusual to see the same question in both places. (and in Cambridge / Oxford, the 'other place' has a special meaning)
Richard George

Postby Peter Dowling » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:59 pm

I am in Mark, AMD, and OSM and are joining R&SM next. I would say Mark next but these are mainly Solomonic degrees where Rose Croix is a Christian order (I believe). Depends on what you want to do on later degrees.
Everyone has different experiences in different degrees. I wish I would have joined R&SM and AMD earlier.
I also fit orders around dates without clashing. I pay £55-£75 for orders mentioned above.
We have a Mark Masons red book with all orders from there with lodge dates etc.for Kent.
Good luck.
PM Craft 8945 East Kent
PM Craft 1361 London
Royal Arch 8945.
MMM 152, 378, 767, 999, 1691, ProvGStwd
Kent MMM Ambassador Recruitment & Retention
Kent MMM Prov. Demonstration Team
Kent Mark 2020 Prov. Assistant Fund Raising Manager
RAM 152
OSM 358. SR.
SC 36
AMD 99
Athelstan 72
QCCC Lodge No. 2076
Peter Dowling

Postby The Uninitiated » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:16 am

As other, better qualified, brethren have observed, the sequence does boil down to individual interests and budgets.

Over in 'another place', user WBro Stuart Henry suggested this sequence.

For the 'Hiramic' story:

Craft-----> Royal Arch -----> Mark ------> Royal and Select Masters-------> Allied Masonic Degrees

Traditional Christian Orders (by which I am, of the purpose of the exercise, excluding the Rosicrucian Orders)

Craft------> Royal Arch ------> Knight Templar ---------> Ancient and Accepted Rite (Rose Croix) -------> Red Cross of Constantine------> Knight Templar Priests

Personally, I have joined Mark before Royal Arch, as (in my opinion and those of many others) I felt that this was the logical sequence.

I'm also interested to understand the recommendation of KT before AAR, as I'm looking at AAR at the moment
Andrew
Mercury Lodge No.4581 in the Province of Hampshire & Isle of Wight - Senior Deacon 2017/18
Camberley Lodge of Mark Master Masons No.1131 in the Province of Surrey - Inner Guard 2017/18
Camberley Lodge of Royal Ark Mariners No.1131 in the Province of Surrey
The Uninitiated
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby JulesTheBit » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:40 am

The Uninitiated wrote:As other, better qualified, brethren have observed, the sequence does boil down to individual interests and budgets.

Over in 'another place', user WBro Stuart Henry suggested this sequence.

For the 'Hiramic' story:

Craft-----> Royal Arch -----> Mark ------> Royal and Select Masters-------> Allied Masonic Degrees

Traditional Christian Orders (by which I am, of the purpose of the exercise, excluding the Rosicrucian Orders)

Craft------> Royal Arch ------> Knight Templar ---------> Ancient and Accepted Rite (Rose Croix) -------> Red Cross of Constantine------> Knight Templar Priests

Personally, I have joined Mark before Royal Arch, as (in my opinion and those of many others) I felt that this was the logical sequence.

I'm also interested to understand the recommendation of KT before AAR, as I'm looking at AAR at the moment

KT, RCC and AAR are separate, you can become a member of them in any combination. Just one, any two or all 3.

KT is a more spectacular ceremony that involves waving swords about :) AAR and RCC are much more introspective and cerebral.

The late, great Freddie Smythe, OSM described AAR as "church" and KT as "church parade" which sums them up quite nicely.

S&F, Jules
JulesTheBit

Postby Richard George » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:10 pm

JulesTheBit wrote:
KT is a more spectacular ceremony that involves waving swords about :)

S&F, Jules

With just a shade of Alice in Wonderland Queen's attitude (36)
Richard George

Postby dedwood84 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:29 pm

To be honest never really fancied KT. All looks and seems a little too much.

However, I have put the feelers out about joining Rose Croix.
dedwood84

Return to General Interest and Discussion