Page 1 of 2

Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:36 pm
by Noble A Toast
Hello Brethren,

Having very recently been initiated, I thought it would be useful to join this forum to help support my advancement of knowledge and for the purposes of asking simple questions.

Ive been reading various books (Fred's Five Minute Talks, Freemasons for Dummies etc..), and learning the obvious, to keep occupied until my second degree which is scheduled early next year. Luckily I have also had the opportunity to visit 2 other lodges already, and witness initiations/ experience their festive boards.

Being a young Mason in my late 20’s, I am keen to show my commitment to the craft (if only to myself) from the offset. However, I am aware this could conversely be seen as being over eager. Any advice (either general or specific) on this front would be appreciated, even if it is just to let my lodge members know I have been undertaking research, or perhaps offering to bring raffle prizes to the festive board every so often, etc…

I have also paid for a subscription to The Square Magazine, and joined the Quatuor Coronati’s Correspondence Circle as I enjoy reading news and research. I wonder if any brothers on this forum could point me in the direction of other useful magazines, books aimed at EA's and/or online blogs?

Thank you.

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:55 pm
by admin
Yes go to the top of the forum and you will see downlaods plenty stuff there, all FREE.

Welcome

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:20 pm
by wayne cowley
A very warm welcome from me too

Wayne

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:46 pm
by Trouillogan
Noble A Toast wrote:Hello Brethren,

Having very recently been initiated, I thought it would be useful to join this forum to help support my advancement of knowledge and for the purposes of asking simple questions.

Ive been reading various books (Fred's Five Minute Talks, Freemasons for Dummies etc..), and learning the obvious, to keep occupied until my second degree which is scheduled early next year. Luckily I have also had the opportunity to visit 2 other lodges already, and witness initiations/ experience their festive boards.

Being a young Mason in my late 20’s, I am keen to show my commitment to the craft (if only to myself) from the offset. However, I am aware this could conversely be seen as being over eager. Any advice (either general or specific) on this front would be appreciated, even if it is just to let my lodge members know I have been undertaking research, or perhaps offering to bring raffle prizes to the festive board every so often, etc…

I have also paid for a subscription to The Square Magazine, and joined the Quatuor Coronati’s Correspondence Circle as I enjoy reading news and research. I wonder if any brothers on this forum could point me in the direction of other useful magazines, books aimed at EA's and/or online blogs?

Thank you.

Welcome 'Noble a Toast'. From what you say, you appear to me to have made some pretty good decisions already! The Square is a good choice because it does not necessarily focus on the official line from GQS but can give other and wider views. In AQC you may find one or two articles tough going at your stage but hang in there and write to the editor with any questions you have. I'm sure you will appreciate the academic rigour of the research these guys do. And you can believe what Bill says, there's no rubbish among the books in his store - and that saves you having to sort things out by trial and error. Fred Lomax's Five minute Talks are very useful, as are ones by Neville Cryer, such as 'I Just Didn't Know That' and 'Did You Know This Too?'. The world is your lobster!

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:52 pm
by Noble A Toast
admin wrote:Yes go to the top of the forum and you will see downlaods plenty stuff there, all FREE.

Welcome


Thanks, I will have a look this evening, always good to hear when something is free.

I look forward to contributing to the forum, thank you for accepting my account.

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:53 pm
by Noble A Toast
wayne cowley wrote:A very warm welcome from me too

Wayne


Thank you Wayne, good to be here.

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:05 pm
by Noble A Toast
Trouillogan wrote: Welcome 'Noble a Toast'. From what you say, you appear to me to have made some pretty good decisions already! The Square is a good choice because it does not necessarily focus on the official line from GQS but can give other and wider views. In AQC you may find one or two articles tough going at your stage but hang in there and write to the editor with any questions you have. I'm sure you will appreciate the academic rigour of the research these guys do. And you can believe what Bill says, there's no rubbish among the books in his store - and that saves you having to sort things out by trial and error. Fred Lomax's Five minute Talks are very useful, as are ones by Neville Cryer, such as 'I Just Didn't Know That' and 'Did You Know This Too?'. The world is your lobster!


Thanks Trouillogan, I will look out for the Neville Cryer books you have mentioned.

It's great to know that I am on the right track and not wasting time or money with the books/subscription/membership that I have already purchased.

As you mention, I am expecting AQC to be quite heavy for where I am masonically, but theres nothing like throwing yourself in at the deep end... (I wonder if I'll be saying that when I've started reading).

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:23 pm
by Steve Treacle
A warm welcome from Sussex, Bro!

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:39 am
by eckywan2
Welcome from sunny Leith in Scotland
where are you based Brother
when are you coming here? Ready whenever you are
Frat greetings too

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:39 am
by Peter Taylor
A warm welcome to LRUK!

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:24 pm
by Noble A Toast
Steve Treacle wrote:A warm welcome from Sussex, Bro!



Thanks bro.

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:24 pm
by Noble A Toast
eckywan2 wrote:Welcome from sunny Leith in Scotland
where are you based Brother
when are you coming here? Ready whenever you are
Frat greetings too


Thanks Brother,

I'm based in Yorkshire. Thank you for the invite!

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:25 pm
by Noble A Toast
Peter Taylor wrote:A warm welcome to LRUK!



Thank you brother!

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:49 pm
by Peter Dowling
Welcome to the forum. You can never be too eager. You will find that (in my experience anyway) not many members in your lodge will do further research. I know of only a handfull in my lodges that do.
The best way to further knowledge (along with reading) is to attend all lodge of instructions, even if doing a higher degree. You will get asked to leave before opening in the 2nd degree but can return to see tbe closing in the first. Take interest in lodge workings/proceedings and ask questions to members and on here.
You can ask a question and get 100 different answers!. All the fun of different aspects of Freemasonry!
Have fun and remember, its the journey not the destination thats important. Everyone in your lodge has been where you are now on your journey. Which path you take is up to you. Good luck. (7)

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:33 pm
by P471
Welcome to the forum Brother. Enjoy it

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:41 pm
by Noble A Toast
Peter Dowling wrote:Welcome to the forum. You can never be too eager. You will find that (in my experience anyway) not many members in your lodge will do further research. I know of only a handfull in my lodges that do.
The best way to further knowledge (along with reading) is to attend all lodge of instructions, even if doing a higher degree. You will get asked to leave before opening in the 2nd degree but can return to see tbe closing in the first. Take interest in lodge workings/proceedings and ask questions to members and on here.
You can ask a question and get 100 different answers!. All the fun of different aspects of Freemasonry!
Have fun and remember, its the journey not the destination thats important. Everyone in your lodge has been where you are now on your journey. Which path you take is up to you. Good luck. (7)


Thank you for the sound advice.

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:41 pm
by Noble A Toast
P471 wrote:Welcome to the forum Brother. Enjoy it


Thanks.

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:29 pm
by Lloyd Wiebe
Welcome. Hope you enjoy your time spent here.

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:37 am
by MrBenn
Welcome to the forum

As well as your additional enquiries I can thoroughly recommend reading the first degree ceremony and the charge after initiation - several times - and also the first degree tracing board.
These are the marrow - the rest is the meat - and you will put yourself in very good stead for your future masonic journey if you invest time now to establish solid foundations

Re: Hello Brethren - New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:23 pm
by Noble A Toast
Lloyd Wiebe wrote:Welcome. Hope you enjoy your time spent here.


Thanks, over time I hope to add value.