Not new but re-cycled perhaps

COME AND SAY HELLO.
This should be your first stop. Let us know you're here and something about yourself.

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Not new but re-cycled perhaps

Postby Jasonr71 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:45 pm

I was initiated way back in 1993 into a London lodge at the grand old age of 21. Spent many happy years there working my way through most of the offices and achieved LGR but I retired from my Lodge in 2012 (under rule 183) and have been unattached (on a sabbatical) ever since.

I'm hoping to rejoin a Lodge in Essex very soon and I hope to be joining their LOI until I can come in as a Joining member next year but I do have a question that is worrying me.

I appear to have lost my GL cert. I have asked METGL and they will re-issue me a new one however my new lodge is expecting me to prove myself (and quite rightly so) and has asked for my Certificate.

I have quite a lot of evidence (summons PM Collar and Jewel copy of GL return showing me as member, clearance certificate and quite a lot of correspondence from GL addressed to me during my time as treasurer of my previous lodge) and of course I will be able to prove myself if examined

My question is will this be enough to enable me to attend the LOIs (obviously I cannot join the lodge until my cert is re-issued).

I'm due to attend the LOI soon and I do not want to embarrass the secretary of the lodge I'm potentially joining or myself by turning up empty handed and would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this.

EDIT the reason I'm in this silly predicament is that I said yes yes no problem I have my cert etc and then went to search for it and can't find it anywhere)

Many thanks
Jasonr71

Re: Not new but re-cycled perhaps

Postby MrBenn » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Have an informal chat with the sec - as LoI is run by the lodge they would need to have a conflab and decide
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Richard George » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:15 pm

Be aware that you CANNOT join a new lodge until you receive your replacement certificate as the secretary is REQUIRED to inspect it before accepting your application. And remember to declare ALL lodges regardless of whether you are a member at the moment as it WILL be checked when the Form P arrives in the Provincial office. I've had many occasions where applicants have failed to mention that they were members of lodge x as they owed money. Doesn't work!
Replacement certificates can take so time to come through so don't delay in coughing up the necessary (it's issued by UGLE Registration BTW, not the Met). And keep it in your case with your regalia!
Richard George
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Jasonr71 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:43 am

Thanks - I think it best as you say just to have a chat with the sec

I did keep my cert in a case with my MM apron and Chapter regalia and I can't find those either. I can only conclude that the whole lot was in the one case and it was lost during a house move.

I was only the member of the one lodge and one Chapter - all clear on both
Jasonr71

Postby eckywan2 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:23 am

Whats the hurry ?
Surely you can attend LOI and lodge , as a visitor and let the protocol take the time it needs
thereby getting to know the brethren better before choosing to actually join
Or maybe it different in your country
Frat greetings anyway
eckywan2

Postby Richard George » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:06 am

Actually no he can't. As he's unattached he can only attend each Lodge in the EC once and once only until he again becomes a member. And given he no longer has any regalia, he'll find it a bit more difficult to gain admission unless there's someone who can vouch for him (and he can prove himself).
Richard George

Postby Lazza21 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:56 am

I lost my Royal Arch Certificate in similar circumstances and whilst the replacement was issued by Supreme Grand Chapter (UGLE all one Office)
I had to apply through Province. I would expect the same applies with Met Grand Lodge.
Wheatsheaf Lodge No.9445
Clerkenwell Lodge of Installed Masters No.9628
Greenhythe Chapter No.5449
Lazza21
LRUK Super Member
LRUK Super Member

Postby Jasonr71 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:27 am

Richard George wrote:Actually no he can't. As he's unattached he can only attend each Lodge in the EC once and once only until he again becomes a member. And given he no longer has any regalia, he'll find it a bit more difficult to gain admission unless there's someone who can vouch for him (and he can prove himself).

Yes you are correct I can only attend a main meeting once (127). There is no restriction on the amount of times I can attend the LOI however and to be fair the LOI is the heart of the lodge. I feel you gain a far greater understanding of the lodge and the people in it by attending the LOI each week. How well the main meeting goes is a direct reflection of how good the LOI is.

As regards my certificate I had previously contacted UGLE and received an emailed reply from METGL who will forward my request (once I have a paid a not inconsequential amount!) so all that is in hand and timings be OK should I wish to join as they will issue a temporary certificate.

I have now discussed all this with the secretary, advised him of what masonic proof I have (correspondence and otherwise) and he is happy for me to attend the LOI.

As regards my regalia I no longer have my MM apron and Chapter regalia (they have not been used for a number of years). I do still have all my other Craft Regalia but I would not accept full regalia as being proof of a FM bearing in mind that you can buy all that freely online.....as you can the ritual books. There are some things that are not available on line however.
Jasonr71

Postby Trouillogan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:30 am

As Mr Ben says, have an informal chat regarding attending the loI. Lodge is, of course, a no-no until you have your certificate.

This case underlines the advice I give and use, never to keep your original certificates in your Masonic case. Keep photocopies in there only, with the originals stored in a safe repository elsewhere along with your other important documents - passport, securities, insurance policies and so on.
Trouillogan

Postby Richard George » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:56 pm

I don't think the loss of your MM regalia is a problem if you've still got your LGR regalia it's the latter you should be wearing anyway.
Richard George

Postby Jasonr71 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:22 pm

Trouillogan wrote:This case underlines the advice I give and use, never to keep your original certificates in your Masonic case. Keep photocopies in there only, with the originals stored in a safe repository elsewhere along with your other important documents - passport, securities, insurance policies and so on.

Good advice and here is some more if you do this please do not leave this safe repository in the loft of your house and then move forgetting to pick up said safe repository. I'm sure that there is no one anywhere silly enough to do this of course.......ahem....

Thanks for all your help on this and it all turned out all right in the end (my wallet may argue though).
Jasonr71

Postby biglobbus » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:19 pm

I had a similar problem in 2004, I lost my Grand Lodge Certificate (PHA Bahamas) in a country move, and before I was found acceptable here by UGLE standards, needed to produce it. Eventually I had to travel to Nassau in the Bahamas to obtain a replacement. I had the presence of mind to obtain a replacement HRA Chapter Certificate too!

Regards,

Lobbus.
biglobbus

Return to Landing Pad