Hello....

COME AND SAY HELLO.
This should be your first stop. Let us know you're here and something about yourself.

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Hello....

Postby Deacs » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:32 pm

Hi there everyone,

First of all I would like to say thank you, as I'm a long time lurker on the site and have learnt a great deal from the forum! Second of all I would like to say that I have recently been initiated in to a London lodge, St. Andrews 231.

I do have a couple of questions if anyone cares to help me out.

1) Should I be purchasing my own EA Apron? Or do I wear one supplied by the lodge/ Mark Mason Hall?

2) Are all Regalia cases created equal? I think I would like a leather one that will outlast me but it's difficult to gauge quality online. Is there a particular shop renowned for high quality regalia cases?

3) Am I supposed to be learning something? I am reasonably certain that I'm supposed to be making an advancement in my Masonic knowledge each day but outside of scouring the Internet, I'm unsure of how to do that.

I must have a million more silly questions like those above but I won't bore anyone that reads this any thread anymore than I have done so already.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Deacs.
Deacs

Re: Hello....

Postby admin » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:56 pm

There are no silly questions. You may well get some slly answers but time will sort that out.

Cases . It is a bit early for a case I would say. here are the sizes we do. They are a good quality case.
http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/sales/index ... fa56d51fff

The Master Mason /Worshipful Master case will see you through till your eventually get a Provincial office of some kind. Then you can get a slightly larger case the only reason for the slightly larger case is so you can lay the larger apron down flat in the case.

Leather cases do cost that much more. It is just opinion if you want to go to the expense, leather cases still get scratched and damaged through general wear and tear. It is your decision.

Usually in the UK you will be given a EA apron when you attend and the same with FC apron . But it depends on the Lodge
Bill McElligott [PPGASwdB - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com - skype: lodgeroomint
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/sales/
http://masonicjewellerystore.com/sales/
http://masonicbookstore.co.uk/store/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Peter Taylor » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:03 pm

Congratulations and a warm welcome to LRUK!
Regards, Peter
PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789,:
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
IPZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS, 30°: SRIS RWC VII, 8°: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: OSM: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Trouillogan » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:37 pm

Welcome, Deacs, to this forum and to Freemasonry.

What sensible questions - but I am a little surprised that no one in your Lodge has filled you in on these things. Never mind, here goes:

EA apron - no you don't buy your own. All Lodges have a small stock of them and the ones for the next degree as well. After that, you will be expected to provide your own. Even for that, some Lodges or members might have second hand ones in good condition, or perhaps you have a relative who still has his light blue apron which he has moved on from. Otherwise you can buy from any of the Masonic regalia suppliers on the Internet but do shop around to get good value.

Regalia cases - no, they are not all created equal (they should really shouldn't they!). Again, you can get new and second hand ones from the same sources as above. Those brethren with Grand Rank have larger size cases because their aprons are a bit larger than everyone else's. Not everyone achieves Grand Rank, so don't worry about that just yet!

Reading material - Personally, I have a library of Masonic books in three and a half large bookcases, so there's plenty of material out there. Yes, you should be reading things. Were you not given one of the 'Peterborough' booklets along with your Book of Constitutions and Lodge by-laws? That is only a small booklet and there's so much more around for you. Call/email your Lodge secretary (details are on the Lodge summons) and ask for contact details of your Lodge mentor. He should be able to guide you with this. If you live or work within reach of Great Queen Street, go into Freemasons Hall, straight past the reception desk, down a few steps and on your left is Letchworth's shop. There you will find all the above items (expensive there!) but you will also find a wide selection of books and booklets. As you are an EA, I would suggest that you look for some of the A5 size books by neville Barker Cryer. They are inexpensive, very easy reading and he has a way of explaining things in everyday terms. Two that I think would suit you are: I just didn't know that and Let me tell you more. Resist any temptation to read beyond your EA degree because it won't mean much to you until you have gone through them. The only reason i mention going there is so you can see the things you want to buy from elsewhere, since, of course, you need look no further than the 'Main Store' in the menu at the top of this page. Everything you need should be there and at affordable prices. While you are in that building do visit the Library and Museum on the first floor, it's well signposted.

You also asked if you should be learning something. Yes, you should have been given a small card of questions and answers which you will need to know for your next degree. Do talk to your Lodge mentor about this. He is there to help you.

St Andews is an honourable Lodge, dating from 1776 (and here is its 'family tree' and other details: http://www.freemasonry.london.museum/tree/Chart_231.pdf), and one you will be proud to have joined. I see that its next meeting is not until October but don't let that delay you contacting your mentor. If you have problems with that, we can assist you from here, by private e-mail if you need.

With every good wish in the years to come.
Trouillogan
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Lloyd Wiebe » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:22 am

Welcome aboard from a hot and sunny southern Ontario.
Lloyd Wiebe

Postby eckywan2 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:49 am

Welcome from Edinburgh
( just back from day out at the real St Andrews yesterday)
Great to see someone wanting more light . Personally I would expect your proposer and seconder to assist you with questions
or be happy with the Q and A for next degree meanwhile
I'm not sure if I like the mentor office maybees it an English thing
but I had family .friends, neighbours , schoolpals, workmate's etc all desperate to give me a penny to take with me on First and later talk about it!
BUT remember on this open site CAUTION
end of
fraternal greetings
eckywan

PS If you get a chance to visit Edinburgh get in touch with me
or try Edinburgh St Andrew no 48 2nd and 4th Thursdays ( founded 1745)
eckywan2

Postby Trouillogan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:31 am

Yes eckywan2 the office of mentor is a fairly recent thing in UGLE-land; another 'collar' in fact, which is supposed be someone to make sure that each member, particularly new ones, have someone to whom he can turn to discuss Masonic matters. The creation of the mentoring system may have come about because new members were being left to flounder about, not knowing whom to ask for advice. 'Senior' members being seen as too distant to be approached and newer members being in much the same boat regarding knowledge. Altogether a rather sad commentary on the state of Masonic education.

Am I a cynical old curmudgeon? Surely not!
Trouillogan

Postby eckywan2 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:43 pm

Aye its been suggested here too, specially for the "new" Uni lodge where the kiddies from all over the world don't have the connections I just mentioned
so Ive tried to pick a victim ( as a hon mem of St Davids 36) and take him places
maybees Iceland?
eckywan2

Postby wayne cowley » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:04 pm

A very warm welcome from me too

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:39 pm

eckywan2 wrote:Aye its been suggested here too, specially for the "new" Uni lodge where the kiddies from all over the world don't have the connections I just mentioned
so Ive tried to pick a victim ( as a hon mem of St Davids 36) and take him places
maybees Iceland?

What and leave hin there ?
Bill McElligott [PPGASwdB - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com - skype: lodgeroomint
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/sales/
http://masonicjewellerystore.com/sales/
http://masonicbookstore.co.uk/store/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby eckywan2 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:05 pm

Wwll maybees naw
perhaps a trip to Wayne in winning Wales
eckywan2

Postby Saracen1970 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:53 pm

Welcome to LRUK Brother
Alex
of what use are flambeaux, torches and spectacles to him who shuts his eyes so as not to see?
Saracen1970

Postby P471 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:54 pm

Welcome to the forum Brother
S&F
Paul

SD - Silurian Lodge No. 471
Universities Lodge No. 5461
1st AS - Silurian Chapter No. 471
St. Mary's RCC No. 1010