Hello

COME AND SAY HELLO.
This should be your first stop. Let us know you're here and something about yourself.

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Hello

Postby PorkPie » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi there,
Just a quick introduction, I live in Southampton, Province of Hampshire & IOW and became a Mason 18 months ago and thoroughly love every aspect of what I have seen so far.
I have just gone into IG and am doing small bits of ritual where I can (WT's at Installation).
I enjoy reading about Freemasonry and researching the history.
Anyhow, am on here to learn more and get involved with discussions.
PorkPie
PorkPie
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Re: Hello

Postby Dave B » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:49 pm

Welcome and I hope you get the answers you are looking for.
Dave
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lodge Treasurer 2015 onwards
April 2015 Raised to Master Mason
November 2014 Fellow Craft Mason
March 2014 Initiated to Entered Apprentice
December 2013 Handed my petition into the lodge.
Dave B
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member

Postby Peter Dowling » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:43 pm

Welcome to LRUK.
PM Craft 8945 East Kent
PM Craft 1361 London
Royal Arch 8945.
MMM 152, 378, 767, 999, 1691, PProvGStwd
Kent MMM Ambassador Recruitment & Retention
Kent MMM Prov. Demonstration Team
Kent Mark 2020 Prov. Fund Raising Manager
RAM 152
OSM 358. SR.
SC 36
AMD 99
Athelstan 72
QCCC Lodge No. 2076
Peter Dowling

Postby Trouillogan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:49 pm

PorkPie wrote:I enjoy reading about Freemasonry and researching the history.
PorkPie

Welcome to Freemasonry and to this discussion group, PorkPie.
How are you setting about your researches into Freemasonry? Serious question. For instance have you been recommended any books to read? Are you attending any research Lodges?
Trouillogan
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Saracen1970 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:25 am

Welcome to LRUK Brother
Alex
of what use are flambeaux, torches and spectacles to him who shuts his eyes so as not to see?
Saracen1970

Postby Peter Moir » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:56 am

Welcome Bro, pleasure to meet you.
Fraternally Yours, Peter

PM LODGE ALBERT No 448
PZ ALBERT RAC No 503
NOAH RAC No 7
Honorary Depute Grand Superintendent
Director of Ceremonies
Provincial Grand R.A. Chapter of Angus & Mearns
Proxy 2nd Principal RA Chapter Scotia No 65
Bridgetown, Barbados.

SRIS East of Scotland College
Peter Moir

Postby MrBenn » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:06 am

Welcome tot he forum, hopefully you will find it an invaluable aid to your daily advancement
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:07 pm

Welcome
Bill McElligott [PPGASwdB - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com - skype: lodgeroomint
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/sales/
http://masonicjewellerystore.com/sales/
http://masonicbookstore.co.uk/store/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wayne cowley » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:39 pm

A very warm welcome from me too

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Lloyd Wiebe » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:37 am

Welcome aboard.
Lloyd Wiebe

Postby Shaun127 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:59 am

A warm welcome from a wet and windy East Kent.
Shaun127
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby P471 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:58 pm

A warm welcome from South Wales
S&F
Paul

SD - Silurian Lodge No. 471
Universities Lodge No. 5461
1st AS - Silurian Chapter No. 471
St. Mary's RCC No. 1010
P471

Postby PorkPie » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:12 pm

Trouillogan wrote:
PorkPie

How are you setting about your researches into Freemasonry? Serious question. For instance have you been recommended any books to read? Are you attending any research Lodges?

Hi Trouillogan,
Apologies for the delay in replying.
My research (that's what I call it anyway) isn't exactly structured. I am quite frustrated by the lack of instruction and/or direction from more experienced Brethren. Everyone is friendly and happy to offer guidance on whatever it is we are doing at that particular time but there is no actual forthcoming instruction. I remember saying that as an apprentice, aren't I supposed to be taught something and received disparaging looks. So I just read what I can, 'The Hiram Key' books, 'I just didn't know that', The Square magazine and online. I buy books such as The Walking Charge (Cornelius Sinclair) and Masonic Etiquette Today (Graham Redman) to try and build up my knowledge and I visit as many different Lodges as I can.
I do go to a weekly Lodge of Instruction which helps tremendously with floor work and practising ritual but there is a definite lack of information and guidance to new Masons in my opinion.
PorkPie
PorkPie
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby David H » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:34 pm

PorkPie wrote:
Trouillogan wrote:
PorkPie

Hi Trouillogan,
My research (that's what I call it anyway) isn't exactly structured. I am quite frustrated by the lack of instruction and/or direction from more experienced Brethren. Everyone is friendly and happy to offer guidance on whatever it is we are doing at that particular time but there is no actual forthcoming instruction. I remember saying that as an apprentice, aren't I supposed to be taught something and received disparaging looks. So I just read what I can, 'The Hiram Key' books, 'I just didn't know that', The Square magazine and online. I buy books such as The Walking Charge (Cornelius Sinclair) and Masonic Etiquette Today (Graham Redman) to try and build up my knowledge and I visit as many different Lodges as I can.
I do go to a weekly Lodge of Instruction which helps tremendously with floor work and practising ritual but there is a definite lack of information and guidance to new Masons in my opinion.
PorkPie

Welcome PorkPie. You have chosen well in signing up to this forum as there are many very knowledgeable folk here who I am sure you will find are very generous with their time and knowledge. I am surprised by what you term a "lack of instruction and/or direction" as you are attending LOI regularly and presumably your Lodge will have a mentor and other folks such as your Proposer and Seconder to refer to. I do know that in some areas (Dorset and Eastbourne for example) there are some very interesting informal initiatives aimed at encouraging people of all ages who are new to the Craft. Maybe there is something similar in your area or scope for something. Your enthusiasm does you great credit and I hope you find the journey rewarding. if there is anything I can do let me know
S & F

David
David H

Postby Trouillogan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:01 pm

PorkPie wrote:
Trouillogan wrote:
PorkPie

Hi Trouillogan,
PorkPie

The books you mention are fine in their way but take a large dose of salt with Knight and Lomas! For excellent reference you might well consider getting The Freemason at Work by Harry Carr and The Freemasons' Guide and Compendium by Bernard E Jones. They will tell you just about everything you need to know and will stand you in good stead throughout your life when you need to know some hard facts. I've just checked with Abe Books and you can get the two for about £10. I firmly believe that no one who wants to know about his Freemasonry should be without these two books. I can also personally recommend the books by Neville Cryer, one of which you already have. Probably the most knowledgeable friend who is now very sadly missed.

As to the blank stares you get when asking questions in your Lodge or LoI, that's normal I'm afraid - Mentor or no Mentor (31) . In one of my well-worn books by Henry Sadler, Masonic Facts and Fictions, is the author's preface, which begins with these words: "Masons don't read". You've already discovered that and you are bucking the trend - go read and confound them all!! (1)
Trouillogan

Return to Landing Pad