Hello From Harry

COME AND SAY HELLO.
This should be your first stop. Let us know you're here and something about yourself.

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Hello From Harry

Postby Harry.Sparks » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Hi,
I just thought id say hello. I have recently filled in an application form to join my local lodge. I am 22 and have known about freemasonry all my life as my father and grandfather are both masons. All my childhood I would ask my dad why he 'dressed like james bond' every so often and mysteriously went off, even with persistent questioning all my teenage years about freemasonry the only answer I received was 'come along, see for yourself.' And last year I took him up on the offer as a white table event was on, I had a great time met some family friends that I didn't even know were masons, and had a few offers of being seconded that night. After this I thought long and hard about joining, and decided at the time to leave joining and re-assess in a year as I would be the youngest at the lodge by at least 25 years. The year having passed, before my dad having even mentioned lodge again I asked for an application form, I've just filled this in and am awaiting the next step and my interview. Hopefully all goes well and ill be accepted and begin my journey.

I just thought id share my experience with you and hopefully it gives a slight idea into perspective of a Lewis. My main reason for wanting to become a freemason with very little knowledge (except internet research) is that both my father and grandfather, I believe are very trustworthy and respectable men, so I can only benefit as I grow with age and life experience.

If you have any tips or questions please feel free.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Harry
Harry.Sparks

Re: Hello From Harry

Postby Lloyd Wiebe » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:21 pm

Welcome Harry. What a great story. I hope you not only enjoy your Masonic journey, but also your time spent here at LRUK.
Lloyd Wiebe
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Peter Taylor » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:17 pm

A warm welcome to LRUK! Looking forward to your comments!
Regards, Peter
PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789,:
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
IPZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS, 30°: SRIS RWC VII, 8°: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: OSM: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:11 am

Welcome
Bill McElligott [PPGASwdB - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com - skype: lodgeroomint
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/sales/
http://masonicjewellerystore.com/sales/
http://masonicbookstore.co.uk/store/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrBenn » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:10 am

Let me just add my welcome to those you have already received, and wish you well on your masonic adventures
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Trouillogan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:58 pm

Welcome Harry. I've read through your post twice and it seems you have a wise head, by the time you appear to have taken in deciding and the reasons you give for wanting to join. Like you, I joined at 22 but I didn't even know my father was a Mason until after I'd applied! They were different times - not long after the last war, when membership was still kept very much under wraps in case of invasion by yet another dictatorial power from the east.

In your journey, try to make a study of some Masonic history if you can. You will find a wealth of information as to why we do certain things in certain ways, as well as what stuff can mean to you in your life outside the Lodge room. There are several good reference books you can obtain and may be in your Lodge library if it has one. Books to look for will be by such as Bernard E Jones, Harry Carr, Neville Cryer, Douglas Knoop and Yasha Beresiner among many. They are not at all expensive and some are available on-line.

Yes, there are plenty of older people but, with more Lodges joining the Universities Scheme, a large number of very much younger (even than you!) are coming in and for a variety of reasons, as did I.

Again, welcome and keep up the posting of your progress and questions here.
Trouillogan

Postby Harry.Sparks » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:24 pm

Thank you Trouillogan, I think that's a really unique story as to how you became a mason. It shows how society changes. I shall purchase a couple of books to give me some knowledge of freemasonry. One thing I have noticed about changes in society regarding freemasons the amount of photos on social media of masons in clothing with large masonic prints or having masonic tattoos, whereas I know my father wouldn't wear any masonic symbols outside of a lodge event, even as small as a tie pin, cufflinks, rings etc.
Harry.Sparks

Postby Trouillogan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:35 pm

Harry.Sparks wrote:Thank you Trouillogan, I think that's a really unique story as to how you became a mason. It shows how society changes. I shall purchase a couple of books to give me some knowledge of freemasonry. One thing I have noticed about changes in society regarding freemasons the amount of photos on social media of masons in clothing with large masonic prints or having masonic tattoos, whereas I know my father wouldn't wear any masonic symbols outside of a lodge event, even as small as a tie pin, cufflinks, rings etc.

Harry, I think what you are referring to, is a reflection on changing standards in society generally. What I personally might think about some of the things I see, I will keep to myself! However, I welcome the return, gradual though it is at the moment, of Masonic involvement in public occasions - civic processions, remembrance day events and so on.
Trouillogan

Postby wayne cowley » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:56 am

A very warm welcome from me too

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dalkeith » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:49 pm

Welcome Harry
Craft: Lodge Dalkeith Kilwinning No. 10
Chapter: Esk 42
Preceptory: Dunbar Castle 158
Dalkeith

Postby Saracen1970 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:57 pm

Welcome to LRUK Harry!
Alex
of what use are flambeaux, torches and spectacles to him who shuts his eyes so as not to see?
Saracen1970

Postby Harry.Sparks » Wed May 06, 2015 3:14 pm

I have been meaning to post an update for a while, I am now an EA Freemason :) I was initiated 4 months ago. The initiation went well (so im told) it was certainly a night I will never forget. I am now just about getting the hang of all the songs and have met a lot of interesting people who without masonry I could never have met. Every brother has been very helpful and understanding. If I can be half the mason my father and other brothers are, I will have a very fulfilling masonic career.
Harry.Sparks

Postby Matt Hurley » Wed May 06, 2015 4:03 pm

Great story, and thanks for sharing.

Congratulations on your initiation, you will have to keep us posted on your progress.

fraternal regards

Matt
Matt Hurley

Postby Peter Dowling » Wed May 06, 2015 10:29 pm

Well done Bro Harry, good to hear from you.
PM Craft 8945 East Kent
PM Craft 1361 London
Royal Arch 8945.
MMM 152, 378, 767, 999, 1691, PProvGStwd
Kent MMM Ambassador Recruitment & Retention
Kent MMM Prov. Demonstration Team
Kent Mark 2020 Prov. Fund Raising Manager
RAM 152
OSM 358. SR.
SC 36
AMD 99
Athelstan 72
QCCC Lodge No. 2076
Peter Dowling

Postby Richard George » Thu May 07, 2015 6:56 am

Hi Harry. A very similar story to myself! On my 21st birthday my father told me that if I wanted to join I just needed to ask - I already knew many of the other lodge members and had sung (I was a cathedral chorister) at the lodge's Christmas dinner (where we entertain the widows of the lodge) and attended my mother's ladies night. I didn't decide to join until I was 31; filled in the paperwork - didn't even know who was going to second me! Never had a interview, went through the 3 degrees in successive meetings and never looked back. The best decision I'd ever made (until I proposed to my wife!).
Richard George

Postby Eckywan » Thu May 07, 2015 2:37 pm

Welcome Bro Harry
can I be petty, as thats what grumpy old past masters do
LEWIS, is when the son of a mason is admitted while UNDER 21
a special privilege but age restricted so as candidate at 22 it doesnt apply
Unlike Richard, my best decision came first, proposing to wife, as I had delayed joining craft for some years
where I come from most guys are in the craft ( I was born in a wee village called Kilwinning ..... u may hear of it sometime
Its famous for Nothing, Internationaly.)
My Father , uncles and cousins all invited me from 18 years on, but I waited till I was married, in my own house , and more fully aware of time requirements

Enjoy the international family

fraternally

eckywan
Eckywan

Postby MrBenn » Thu May 07, 2015 6:00 pm

Really?
Must be a Scottish thing
AFAIK in UGLE a lewis is a lewis all his life until he becomes a mason - the only privilege he enjoys in UGLE is the right to be initiated before another candidate if they apply the same time
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Eckywan » Thu May 07, 2015 7:33 pm

Well there you are one learns something new every day! Thanks mr Benn
Harry come up to Scotland and learn how we treat our visitors!!
( if the borders are still open after tonight!)

eckywan edinburgh
Eckywan

Postby Trouillogan » Fri May 08, 2015 2:52 pm

Definitely different under UGLE from what you describe concerning the Scottish Constitution, Eckywan. Here is the UGLE description and privileges printed in their booklet Information for the Guidance of Members of the Craft. This booklet is complementary to the UGLE Book of Constitutions and carries the same force:

Lewis
(i) Description of
A Lewis is the uninitiated son of a Mason and it matters not whether the son was born before or after his father became a Mason.
(ii) Privileges of
Where a Lewis is one of two candidates being initiated on the same day he would be the senior for the purpose of the ceremony. He cannot claim precedence over candidates proposed or elected previously to himself and he must take his place in the usual rotation on any waiting list. Being a Lewis is not grounds for dispensation to enable him to be initiated under the age of 21. (see Rule 157, B. of C.)

It comes as a surprise to many that the word 'Lewis' does not appear anywhere in the UGLE Book of Constitutions!
Trouillogan

Postby neilf8 » Fri May 08, 2015 7:58 pm

Singing !
I don't remember any singing in my GLS Lodge
I am
EA so poss singing is later !
neilf8

Return to Landing Pad