Greetings from a liberal mason in London

COME AND SAY HELLO.
This should be your first stop. Let us know you're here and something about yourself.

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Greetings from a liberal mason in London

Postby Ardancour » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:14 am

Greetings to all.

My name is Alex and I belong to the lodge Freedom of Conscience. We are the London-based English-speaking lodge affiliated to the Grand Orient of France and for that reason, we belong to what some call the "irregulars". My motivation in following this forum is to learn from other participants, and (who knows?) even share my thoughts with anybody who is curious about our perspectives on masonry or our particular lodge. To be clear, my purpose is not to argue, convert or evangelise. I strongly believe there exists a meeting point for freemasons of all persuasions, beyond issues of regularity and irregularity, and it is this faith which has guided my own journey for many years.

Fraternity and humanity,
Alex Ardancour
Ardancour

Re: Greetings from a liberal mason in London

Postby admin » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:02 am

Welcome
Bill McElligott [PPGASwdB - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com - skype: lodgeroomint
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/sales/
http://masonicjewellerystore.com/sales/
http://masonicbookstore.co.uk/store/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wayne cowley » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:47 am

A very warm welcome from me too

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Seeking-Light » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:36 pm

Welcome to the forum

We are fortunate to have masons from several grand lodges and obediences many of whom will be greatly interested in hearing more about your lodge experience and the Orient to which it holds.

I will look forward to your contributions

seeking light
Scottish freemason ..
feel free to have a chat :)
Seeking-Light
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Eckywan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:40 am

Bienvenue mon frere

Ive had great welcome at GO museum at Rue Cadet and enjoyed its more truthfull version of history!
Freemasonry is worldwide and should be free of all political and religeous bias unlike what we have in Britain.
hence my troubles in seeking light which has not been uneventful here and elsewhere

Good luck and fraternal greetings from Scotland
( ou bisous sont interdit!!)

J'ai dit

TVF Eckywan ( HM Gislebertus 478 La Mere Loge De Rite Standard Ecossais en France)
Eckywan

Postby MrBenn » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:00 pm

A very warm welcome to the forum - look forward to reading your contributions and sharing knowledge & light
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Peter Taylor » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:39 pm

A warm welcome to LRUK! Looking forward to your comments!
Regards, Peter
PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789,:
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
IPZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS, 30°: SRIS RWC VII, 8°: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: OSM: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby russellholland » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:09 pm

Hi Alex

In most English-speaking Masonic rituals, there are very specific references to Divinity under various names. I could argue that naming Divinity is essentially a cultural process and therefore that Masonry cannot be universal if it uses cultural namings.

Does your order use such namings?

If not, does the order consider that humanity to be the peak intelligence in existence? Would this mean that the welfare of humanity is the greatest good?

Cheers
russellholland

Postby drunkmunkey6969 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:28 am

Welcome
drunkmunkey6969
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby Ardancour » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:00 pm

Thank you all for your welcome.

Thanks also Russell Holland for your question. My answers to you would be as follows:
The so-called Modern French Rite, the most common one used in the Grand Orient, makes no mention of Divinity in any form whatsoever. Indeed, all explicit mentions of even the GAOTU were removed from the constitutions and regulations of the Grand Orient in 1877, and this of course has been one of the issues resulting in the divide between "regular" and "irregular" masonry. The freedom of each individual to believe in God - or not to believe - is fundamental for us, and thus our lodges welcome followers of any faith, agnostics, or atheists alike. The naming, and perhaps indeed the personification, of Divinity is potentially "culturally loaded". This all touches on the question of what freemasonry itself is or should be. A lot more could be written on this topic, but it is probably beyond the scope of this Landing Pad section. For the moment, I will simply say that our emphasis is on leaving personal religious opinions aside and, instead, on celebrating “that religion in which all men agree” (to quote Anderson, author of the first Constitution, where "religion" can here be understood in the most general sense possible),
"whereby Masonry becomes the Center of Union, and the Means of conciliating true Friendship among Persons that must have remain'd at a perpetual Distance."
In my mind, this mindset has potential for attaining something which is truly universal.
A common criticism of atheists is that they lack a belief in an intelligence above themselves, which, for some, casts doubt on their aptitude for freemasonry. However, I would argue that an atheist, like anybody else, can have the humility to acknowledge the limits of his/her own intelligence. Not one person can claim to hold "the Truth"; not one group of individuals either. Rather, Truth is something that is sought continually, and by entering the Temple and sharing our perspectives, we may hope to approach it somewhat better than if we had stayed "at a perpetual distance". The search for the "greatest good" is a journey, not a destination. That, I could say, is the spirit of our work in the lodge.

I am well aware I might have here opened several big cans of worms, which may perhaps be better suited to other threads than this.

S&F
Alex
Lodge Freedom of Conscience, London http://liberal-masonry.org/
Ardancour

Postby Eckywan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:41 pm

Thank you Bro Alex for such a good description. Ive enjoyed a warm welcome at the museum at Cadet on a couple of occaisions

Happy New Year

Je Suis Charles
aussi eckywan
Eckywan

Postby russellholland » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:13 am

Ardancour wrote:....Truth is something that is sought continually..

So is it fair to say that Truth is an attribute of an absolute Reality and that it is approaching more closely to that absolute Reality to which brethren aspire?
russellholland

Postby Nik ODwyer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:40 pm

A very warm and Windy Welcome to the Forum from Suffolk

Nik O'Dwyer
WM - ABIFF 2810 (Suffolk) 2014
JW - Mark
VD & AOS - OSM
Scarlet Cord
Nik ODwyer