Becoming a mason

COME AND SAY HELLO.
This should be your first stop. Let us know you're here and something about yourself.

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Becoming a mason

Postby ritchie7041 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:57 pm

Hello to one and all.

My Name is Richard and for a while I have been very interested in joining the fraternity. Unbeknown to me, my cousin is a MM, and when the subject of freemasonry came up in one of our conversations, he explained he was one.
Since then (and trying not to press for too many answers in case I was TOO full-on!) I have been reading about joining the brotherhood and bought a great book on the subject. I now realise it is something I would like in my life, and asked him for any assistance.

My question is this: prior to knowing my cousin was a brother, coincidently, I had contacted the Provincial Grand Lodge of South Wales via their contacts page, informing them I was interested in becoming a mason. This was many weeks ago, and whilst the web page said thank you for your interest and that they would be in touch, I have yet to hear from them. May I please ask if anyone knows if the process is a long one, and I should just be patient?

Also, since then, my cousin said he would speak one of his mason friends and, in turn, would speak to the City of Cardiff lodge 7528 (they meet on Saturdays there, which is the best day for me to attend, due to work commitments during the week) and would let me know the outcome and what would then need to be done.

I am still waiting to hear back, and again, would kindly ask if I just need to be more patient and trust things are going on behind the scenes for me. I am probably just too keen to start my path, and I apologise for my rambling post!

Thank you for reading

Kind Regards

Ritchie.
ritchie7041

Re: Becoming a mason

Postby Seeking-Light » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Richard

I am quite sure that your cousin will be making suitable enquiries on your behalf so I would counsel patience .

Do let us know how you get on

seeking light
fife
Scottish freemason ..
feel free to have a chat :)
Seeking-Light
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Becoming a mason

Postby jackal » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:20 pm

Ritchie hi

First things first, welcome.

For us masons, the summer is usually a period of quietness and so we holiday.

Things would only just recently have started up again so communications might take a little longer at this time of year.

There are several lodges meeting on Saturdays down your neck if the woods, Edgar Rutter Lodge being one, which meets also on Saturdays in the centre of Cardiff itself.

The usual process is for a potential new member to get to know the lodge members so both parties can see if they gel together. We don't want to bring disharmony into our meetings. Such introductions are usually done by way of social events the Lodge may hold.

Obviously these take time but I am sure you will be invited to them shortly as the season restarts. In my case, I attended the social events (4-5 a year) for nigh on 2 years before I and my lodge were comfortable to move onto my actually becoming a Mason.

That said each Lodge has its own procedure and way of doing things.

Talk to your cousin again and see if he has progressed matters at all, but don't be surprised if he says he hasn't yet seen his Lodge secretary! Freemasonry tends to move slowly I am afraid.

Given Province another week or so and if nothing is heard back, PM me here and I will arrange for a contact of mine to contact you.

There are a number of fine masons on here from your area, Wayne Cowley being one whom may also be able to assist.

I trust the above helps.

Jackal
Jackal
jackal
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby ritchie7041 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:29 pm

Thank you seeking-light and Jackal for your kind responses.

I will take on board your advice, I will be patient, and look forward to sharing my future experiences should I become successful

Kind Regards

Ritchie
ritchie7041

Postby Lloyd Wiebe » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:52 pm

Welcome to LRUK, and good luck in your quest to join the worlds largest fraternity.
Lloyd Wiebe

Postby admin » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:22 pm

Welcome
Bill McElligott [PPGASwdB - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com - skype: lodgeroomint
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/sales/
http://masonicjewellerystore.com/sales/
http://masonicbookstore.co.uk/store/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wayne cowley » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:15 pm

A very warm welcome from me too

As you will see from my signature, I am a South Wales mason so happy to help if I can (living in Newprt but my mother lodge is in Caerphilly and I work in Cardiff)

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrBenn » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:35 am

A very warm welcome from me too

One of the first lessons freemasonry teaches is patience!

Took around 12 months from initial expression of interest to initation for me
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ritchie7041 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:00 pm

Thanks again everyone, and MrBenn, your comment puts my two months or so of waiting for a reply into perspective! Now I am aware of how long the process could potentially take, I shall just wait..... The wait will be worth the while :-) I shall wait a while longer Jackal, and may take you up on the offer and PM you if I don't hear from the Province in a reasonable time.

Thank you Wayne and everyone else who took the time to reply, very much appreciated, this forum is very friendly and in time hope to make some lifelong friendships

Best regards

Ritchie
ritchie7041

Postby Mike Martin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:06 am

I didn't know anyone in the Lodge when I knocked it took about 18 months until my Proposer and Seconder were content they knew me well enough to vouch for me.
Mike Martin

Return to Landing Pad