My Grandfather, the Freemason.

COME AND SAY HELLO.
This should be your first stop. Let us know you're here and something about yourself.

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

My Grandfather, the Freemason.

Postby Alex Peter Whatley » Fri May 09, 2014 8:16 pm

Respectful greetings to you all,

I am thankful for your consideration of my application to these forums, especially as I am a non-mason.

May I thank the Lodge for helping my Grandmother and my Father in the event my Grandfather Peter was parted from them in a much earlier era, as we are, thanks to yourselves and the will of my Father blessed with health. I have taken an interest in finding out the history of this man my Father barely knew and I did not know, which brings me here to you, as he was indeed a Freemason! There are none in my family, the Whatley's, whom could give more insight into the life of this man that are with us, as his sister passed on not one year before I took on this quest. I have been told great things of my Grandfather, that he was an inventor, an engineer, a man who helped the sick at home after WW2 and a boy who lived through the Blitz, a true gentleman that brought goodness and gave life to a family. I visualise these qualities and memories when i look upon his photograph, and even more, the life with his other family, his Fraternal brotherhood. Is there anything I can find out about this figure through yourselves?

I am grateful for your patience and reading,

Yours sincerely,

Alexander Peter Whatley
Alex Peter Whatley

Re: My Grandfather, the Freemason.

Postby Bernie » Sat May 10, 2014 9:33 am

A very warm welcome to the forum. If you have an interest in the Craft then that will, hopefully, be fulfilled in part here; more fully if you ever decide to take the plunge and join us. With regards to your grandfather, do you have any information with regards to where he practiced his masonry? Which town, or lodge? If you do, then the Secretary of that lodge would be a good place as he would hold the records and should be able to provide you with some information. If not, then you may be able to obtain those details from the Provincial or Grand Lodge. If I recall there may be a small charge for such searches, but you can access the Grand Lodge site by Googling UGLE.

Let us know how your quest goes. You never know, you may find that, once you identify his lodge, there may be a member on here from that lodge, or who knows someone currently in it. That is, of course, if the lodge still meets.
Fraternally,

Bernie

Si Monumentum Requiris Circumspice
Bernie
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Peter Taylor » Sat May 10, 2014 10:25 am

A warm welcome to LRUK!!
Regards, Peter
PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789,:
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
IPZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS, 30°: SRIS RWC VII, 8°: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: OSM: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Peter Dowling » Sat May 10, 2014 6:04 pm

Welcome to the forum. We can probably help with more info.
PM Craft 8945 East Kent
PM Craft 1361 London
Royal Arch 8945.
MMM 152, 378, 767, 999, 1691, PProvGStwd
Kent MMM Ambassador Recruitment & Retention
Kent MMM Prov. Demonstration Team
Kent Mark 2020 Prov. Fund Raising Manager
RAM 152
OSM 358. SR.
SC 36
AMD 99
Athelstan 72
QCCC Lodge No. 2076
Peter Dowling

Postby Mike Martin » Sat May 10, 2014 11:55 pm

If your grandfather was an English Mason you should be able to find his details from the Library and Museum at Freeemasons's Hall in London through this page: http://www.freemasonry.london.museum/family-history/
Mike Martin

Postby Nik ODwyer » Sun May 11, 2014 6:06 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Nik O'Dwyer
WM - ABIFF 2810 (Suffolk) 2014
JW - Mark
VD & AOS - OSM
Scarlet Cord
Nik ODwyer
LRUK Supreme Member
LRUK Supreme Member

Postby Alex Peter Whatley » Wed May 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Gentlemen,

I am grateful for your advice and thank you for your welcoming. My father and I are planning to go on a group tour visit to UGLE I hope one day soon in what I hope shall bring a good deal of sensibility for the craft's people and history. My father grew up in a little village called Blackfield in the New Forest, a true working man's community where most people worked at a place called Fawley Refinery, as did my Grandfather as an instrument engineer. Thank you for the request information website Mr. Martin, unfortunately we are all unaware as to which lodge he practiced, I am just delighted there are places I can ask even if there's a fee!

Kind Regards,
Alex Peter Whatley

Return to Landing Pad