Attendance on Lodge Summons

COME AND SAY HELLO.
This should be your first stop. Let us know you're here and something about yourself.

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Attendance on Lodge Summons

Postby needlesmaster » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:00 pm

Is there a view on attendance on your lodge summons? At our next meeting, lodge past masters will perform the ceremony. Our JW has taken the view that as he is not required to participate he will take the evening off and attend another lodge that he had an invitation for! I believe we should censure this brother - but others think that if we are too tough on him he will up and leave the lodge. Views, please.
needlesmaster

Re: Attendance on Lodge Summons

Postby allan0406 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:15 pm

In my opinion this is an unusual case, he should really attend his own Lodge as he has been summoned to appear. However he has seemingly been invited to attend another Lodge, if they meet on the same day, it will be difficult to see how he would ever be able to accept a cordial invitation. Again he should not really take a view himself, but rather ask the Master for advice and or permission. As it is probably a one off, I think the Master would probably give his blessing. We are required by the Master to attend the Lodge save for work, family commitments or illness, and not just to decide himself that he is going to another Lodge. He hasn't dealt with this issue with much decorum, he needs to sharpen up, and think of the wider view, however I would be loathe to censure him, but would ensure that, he would ask first in future.
Allan Hore,
Worshipful Master
MM Bootle Pilgrim Lodge 1473,
Comp RA Bootle Chapter 1473
West Lancs Province
Mark Master
Bootle Mark Lodge No 478
WLMM

"In a gentle way, you can shake the world."
Mahatma Ghandi
allan0406
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby Richard George » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:57 am

.. and if he did up and leave, I wouldn't blame him. My reaction would be 'serves you right' (assuming he has shown serious commitment otherwise).

Remember that we're not paid to do Freemasonry; it's not a job, it's a 'hobby' and as such it's something we CHOOSE to do. If he wants to miss a meeting because he won't actually be doing anything and take to opportunity to accept an invitation he would otherwise be unable to, that's his choice and we cannot criticise him for that - even though we might disagree with his choice. What if, for example, he was choosing to accept the invitation because he is supporting a close friend/relative is doing some floorwork for the very first time? or going to see a friend/relative being initiated/passed/raised? Do you know the circumstances? Probably not.

I guess what you're really asking is whether he should be allowed to go on to the Chair ... my question in return would be "how well has he supported the lodge up until now and what is his commitment like other than this particular instance?".

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that he has turned down plenty of invitations because he was doing JD/SD/JW before, and has taken this opportunity only because he's 'got a night off'.
Richard George

Postby Rowan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:51 am

Well said Richard
Rowan

Postby allan0406 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:05 pm

And to add to that would he indeed be the JW, if he hadn't first shown the ability and commitment in the first place.
Allan Hore,
Worshipful Master
MM Bootle Pilgrim Lodge 1473,
Comp RA Bootle Chapter 1473
West Lancs Province
Mark Master
Bootle Mark Lodge No 478
WLMM

"In a gentle way, you can shake the world."
Mahatma Ghandi
allan0406

Postby rjgs » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:05 pm

I agree with Richard. It's best to get all the facts before jumping to conclusions and censuring him. I can't believe that that would even be considered before even knowing the true facts.
rjgs

Postby needlesmaster » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:39 am

Thank you for your responses. I can now see this in a slightly different light. The member in question is not a great ritualist, but has been a regular supporter of LOI. Because of this, we have allowed him to retain the appointment as JW for two years followed by his second year (coming up in November) as SW. We had hoped this would give him additional confidence as he approached the Chair in just over a year's time. So, my view is that he is taking us all for granted and doing what he wants. I also have serious doubts that he will take the Chair, anyway. I think he will 'duck-it' when the time comes.
needlesmaster

Postby needlesmaster » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:40 am

My apologies, in my first post I should have given his position as Senior Warden - not Junior Warden.
needlesmaster

Postby rjgs » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:31 pm

There is often more to these awkward situations and it's worth trying to see both sides. I guess you'll have to do what is good for the Lodge with (hopefully) the advice of all members and particularly the senior members.
rjgs

Postby Richard George » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:42 am

I've known lots of PMs who are not great ritualists; that doesn't mean however, that he wont be a good Master!
Our next Master will actually be a PM who went through the chair about 3 years ago. He's not a great ritualist, and when he joined I wasn't sure he would actually go through the chair - but he did; and proved himself to be a good Master.

The lodge is now again in a position whereby we need to introduce a delay in progression and he has volunteered to take the chair again as a) he enjoyed in the first time, and b) he felt he should have done better (he did fine in my opinion). We know he won't be able to attend every meeting because of certain circumstances, but that's irrelevant; we know he's committed to the lodge.

If, in your case, the guy has shown commitment - and it sounds to me as though he has, then I personally think you should give him the benefit of the doubt and support and encourage him.
If you yourself have yet to go through the chair, you cannot know the trepidation that comes when you are so close as to be able to touch it; "can I cope with it", "it's a lot to take on". And so on. (look at my sig; I've been there!).
I suspect he is concerned about taking the chair BECAUSE he's not a great ritualist and is worried that he will be letting the lodge down. My view is that you should be encouraging him and telling him that the ritual doesn't matter .. he can get PMs to help out .. they'd be more than happy. What matters is how he represents the lodge and how happy the members are. Go read the address to the Master and think about what it says in there.
Richard George

Postby bboy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:00 pm

I would have suggested that any office-bearer would have to seek the Master permission to simply choose to visit another Lodge. I realise that things are slightly different south of the Border. I have missed the odd meeting due to PGL duty, but I have always saught the approval of my committee before doing so.

I would alway choose to attend my Mother Lodge, even if I wasn't needed in office.
bboy

Postby bboy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Also as Warden is he not a trustee of the Lodge? so he should be there anyway.
bboy

Postby Richard George » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:46 pm

bboy wrote:Also as Warden is he not a trustee of the Lodge? so he should be there anyway.

Huh? This sounds like it could a 'north of the border' thing; it's not something I'm aware of down here.
Richard George

Postby bboy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:39 pm

Up hear the Master and his Wardens are the trustees of the Lodge.
bboy

Postby Chestnut » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Richard George wrote:
bboy wrote:Also as Warden is he not a trustee of the Lodge? so he should be there anyway.

Huh? This sounds like it could a 'north of the border' thing; it's not something I'm aware of down here.

Rule 143 BoC All property of the Lodge is held in trust for the Lodge members by the Master and Wardens. So is he a trustee? Yes.
Chestnut

Postby Richard George » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:19 pm

Oh, ok, I now see the context; fair enough.
Although I'm not sure if that is what was being referred to given it was an observation by one of our Scots brethren ...?
Richard George

Postby Jayman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:38 pm

He has the night off. He is not needed in his chair.

Why is this an issue?
Jayman

Postby Chestnut » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:24 pm

1st Degree Charge

Your Obedience......prompt attention to all signs and summonses.

2nd Degree Charge

You are to duly honour and obey all regular signs and summonses given and received.
Chestnut

Postby Richard George » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:31 am

Chestnut wrote:1st Degree Charge

Your Obedience......prompt attention to all signs and summonses.

2nd Degree Charge

You are to duly honour and obey all regular signs and summonses given and received.

'Without detriment to yourself or connections' takes precedence IMHO.
Richard George

Postby russellholland » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:59 pm

needlesmaster wrote:..t others think that if we are too tough on him he will up and leave the lodge. Views, please.

So some brethren are considering censuring the SW and this might trigger his leaving the lodge. What does this say about the harmony and quality of the coming year?

What could have brought about such a situation?
russellholland

Next

Return to Landing Pad