Hello from the Midlands

COME AND SAY HELLO.
This should be your first stop. Let us know you're here and something about yourself.

Moderators: Peter Dowling, Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Hello from the Midlands

Postby simm1978 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:29 pm

Hello everybody.
I am Simon from England and am really looking forward to speaking with people who are about to be initiated into the world of freemasonry.
simm1978

Re: Hello from the Midlands

Postby Peter Taylor » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:14 pm

A warm welcome to LRUK!
Regards, Peter
PM Albert Lochee 448, PM Discovery 1789,:
Honorary, 49, 54, 164, 225, 299, 327, 486, 1220, 1308, SC: PSW 1812, SC, Trinidad: Assoc. 198, Colorado: PPGSec PGL Forfashire.
IPZ RA Chapter Albert 503: RAM, CC: AASR PMWS, 30°: SRIS RWC VII, 8°: ROoS: KT: KTP: RCC: Squaremen
Peter Taylor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby simm1978 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:43 pm

Thankyou Peter
simm1978

Postby eckywan2 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:07 pm

welcome Simon from sunny Leith
I presume you are not yet a member?
Best wishes for wherever you choose to go
eckywan2
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby simm1978 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:15 pm

Eckywan.. I appreciate the kind words. Thankyou very much.
simm1978

Postby Mike Martin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:21 pm

Welcome aboard.
Mike Martin

Postby simm1978 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:03 pm

Thankyou Mike
simm1978

Postby eckywan2 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:41 pm

Dont be shy Simon tell us more
and ask questions too
eckywan2

Postby Lloyd Wiebe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:13 pm

Welcome. Hope you enjoy your time spent here.
Lloyd Wiebe

Postby wayne cowley » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:52 pm

A very warm welcome from me too

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby simm1978 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:20 pm

Is it correct that all'potentials' have to have their partners/wife interviewed?
I have an issue with my wife as her father's a vicar and they disagree with my decision yet my great great grandfather was a mason I'd love to follow suit. Dilemma that I don't know how to resolve? Thankyou
simm1978

Postby Richard George » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:51 pm

simm1978 wrote:Is it correct that all'potentials' have to have their partners/wife interviewed?
I have an issue with my wife as her father's a vicar and they disagree with my decision yet my great great grandfather was a mason I'd love to follow suit. Dilemma that I don't know how to resolve? Thankyou

One of the first things we insist on is that Freemasonry doesn't cause problems within the family - family come first. If your membership is likely to cause family issues - particularly between partners, you would be (or should be!) advised not to continue with your application.

Wives and partners are not 'interviewed' as such, but they are normally included or invited to meet the committee so they have the opportunity to ask any questions they may have. You might like to point out though, that many high ranking clergy have been and are members - including a former (now deceased) Archbishop of Canterbury .. Geoffrey Fisher, who presided at the coronation of Elizabeth II. I personally knew (they are both dead), a Rabbi, and a Canon in the Anglican Church. In fact, when I was at school, I used to be a Server, and served that Canon .. he later became the Provincial Grand Master of Cambridgeshire.
Last edited by Richard George on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Richard George

Postby Trouillogan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:46 pm

simm1978 wrote:Is it correct that all'potentials' have to have their partners/wife interviewed?

What Richard says is absolutely correct and I'd like to add a word or two. Archbishop Geoffrey Fisher, who coronated the Queen, used to be a member of my lodge in Derby. My late father was a Canon Emeritus of Derby Cathedral and Provincial Chaplain. I know of a great many of the clergy who either were when alive or are now members. Many vicars are surprised when they come to realise that if you remove all the Masons from their congregations, there would be very few people left! One of the things we do is to encourage our brethren to attend and participate in their churches and parish life - the same with the other faith systems. Further, the financial support we provide to church and cathedral fabric is quite staggering. It would be very interesting to hear what his concerns are, in factual terms not hearsay.
Trouillogan

Postby Richard George » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:15 am

https://www.elycathedral.org/events/fes ... ounce=true

We do this biannually; it's normally a sell-out ...

Incidentally, the ProvGM I mentioned was Canon Hugh Barker.
The Ven. James Rone (also now deceased) was the founding Junior Warden of The Porta Lodge 9511 (Old School lodge - Kings' School Ely); he was Archdeacon of Wisbech
(see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archdeaco ... nd_Wisbech regarding it's importance)

One thing I noticed about Hugh Barker ... when I served for him in the Cathedral (Ely), I could never hear what he said; the only way I knew what I needed to do and when, was by knowing the service backwards and following it in my head. Imagine my surprise therefore, when I first saw/heard him speak in Freemasonry, I could hear every word. That may go someway perhaps, to indicate what he thought about his membership. He was actually a great speaker with a fantastic sense of humour - something I suspect, he had to suppress in his ecclesiastical life.

The Rabbi I mentioned (I won't give his name as it would identify his sons and I don't have their permission) was, at one time, the Senior Jewish Chaplain to the British Army of the Rhine.
Richard George

Postby Trouillogan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:30 am

You might like to give him an appropriate Christmas present - Revd Neville Barker Cryer's Belief and Brotherhood, pub. Lewis Masonic, ISBN 978 0 85318 277 1. Available from all good masonic book suppliers. It's not expensive, so you might as well get a second copy for yourself!
Trouillogan

Postby wayne cowley » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:01 pm

We even have a Lodge which was established for ordained ministers of a number of Christian denominations in our Province. I know that there are Anglicans and Baptists represented there - not sure about other denominations presently

https://www.southwalesmason.com/lodge/s ... ics-lodge/

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby simm1978 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:17 pm

The response I have already received from extremely knowledgeable members of this forum shows me undeniably that joining the brotherhood would be a great aspect of my life as knowing people like yourselves can only enhance my knowledge of life, values and religion.
I will be purchasing the book for my father in law. Thankyou for the link!
I would like to thank everybody who has commented on this topic!!!
simm1978

Postby Richard George » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:55 pm

Tell him to join the forum and ask his questions - we may be able to allay his fears.

Oh - and another notable clergyman; Maj Gen The Ven. John Blackburn, Hon Chaplain to the Queen.
Richard George

Postby Mike Martin » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:57 pm

Richard George wrote:Tell him to join the forum and ask his questions - we may be able to allay his fears.

Or her, we had the wife of a prospective Candidate over on TFM a few years ago and she was happy to get answers from actual Freemasons about the rumours and gossip that she had heard from non-Masons.
Mike Martin

Postby Richard George » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:56 am

Good point.
Richard George

Return to Landing Pad