Concerns about acceptance.

How to join and Why?

Moderators: Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Concerns about acceptance.

Postby RedHand » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:22 pm

In Ireland the Masonic Order and the Orange Order (and RBP) are perceived to be different sides of the same coin. I know that both institutions, and for reasons I do understand, deny a connection.
However In this part of the world there is certainly a perception among Roman Catholics (and Protestants) that such a connection exists as the loyal orders share somewhat similar, and in instances identical, regalia, structure, symbols, nomenclature and ritual, notwithstanding the large number of men with dual membership and the sharing of halls and premises etc.
Due to the large amount of men who are members of both orders here, I wonder if orangeism exerts an influence on the masonic order in Ireland. It is extremely rare to hear of a RC member of a masonic lodge especially in my home province in Ulster, although I do know that some are members.
I do understand that the image of freemasonry as being anti-RC is a misconception (four Grand Masters of English Freemasonry have been Roman Catholic I believe), and though predominately Protestant, the Craft is open to all. I do not doubt the sincerity of this inclusive ideal in the round but I would like to know if the reality is somewhat different in Ireland (and by extension Scotland, which shares similar problems).
As someone who has been brought up in the RC faith I have been fascinated by ritual history and tradition, above all I am drawn to the inclusive nature of Freemasonry.
I have mused over asking to participate in Freemasonry for as long as I can remember but have always held back from taking that step as I am worried that I would not be accepted due to this (hopefully unfounded) perception. Times are changing and the sectarian nature of society we endure in NI is slowly being eroded. I hope that I find Freemasonry a bastion against sectarianism and a refuge from religious intolerance. I have no personal axe to grind with orangeism and I believe everybody is entitled to express their beliefs in any manner they see fit, less it cause offence. But I would not wish to join an organisation where a substantial number of members would consider me an outsider. Any insight or musings on this topic will be graciously received.

I do apologise for the essay long post.

Regards,
RH
RedHand
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Re: Concerns about acceptance.

Postby Trouillogan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:52 pm

These are all questions that your Provincial Grand Lodge can address far better than anyone else. I'm in UGLE (England), so not that versed in Irish intricacies, though I do visit from time to time. For your interest, the English lodge I attend and visit have a mix of members: Muslim, Jew, RC, Protestant, Buddhist, Sikh and so on. I can only infer from conversations with them. Whatever their different faith systems may be, has absolutely no effect on the friendships and personal relationships which develop. For example, here is the first of the Charges of a Freemason:

THE CHARGES OF A
FREE-MASON
ETC., ETC.
I. Concerning GOD and RELIGION
A Mason is obliged, by his tenure, to obey the moral law; and if he
rightly understand the art he will never be a stupid atheist nor an
irreligious libertine. He, of all men, should best understand that God
seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh at the outward appearance,
but God looketh to the heart. A mason is, therefore, particularly
bound never to act against the dictates of his conscience. Let a man’s
religion or mode of worship be what it may, he is not excluded from
the order, provided he believe in the glorious architect of heaven and
earth, and practise the sacred duties of morality. Masons unite with the
virtuous of every persuasion in the firm and pleasing bond of fraternal
love; they are taught to view the errors of mankind with compassion,
and to strive, by the purity of their own conduct, to demonstrate the
superior excellence of the faith they may profess. Thus masonry is
the centre of union between good men and true, and the happy means
of conciliating friendship amongst those who must otherwise have
remained at a perpetual distance.

I cannot be much plainer than this but, as I say, your Provincial Grand Lodge will be better able to address any specific subjects you wish to discuss.
Trouillogan
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby RedHand » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:04 am

Thank you Trouillogan for your reply. I acknowledge that my query is of a colloquial nature.
I am aware of the charges and have done some research on Masonic law. I will be putting all my concerns and queries to the panel when my initial meeting is arranged. My query is not really directed at stated craft ethos or ideals but rather directed at members who may have had some experience with this situation or Is indeed a member of a loyal order. Thanks again, your insight is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
RH
RedHand
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Trouillogan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:54 am

RedHand wrote:Thank you Trouillogan for your reply. I acknowledge that my query is of a colloquial nature.
I am aware of the charges and have done some research on Masonic law. I will be putting all my concerns and queries to the panel when my initial meeting is arranged. My query is not really directed at stated craft ethos or ideals but rather directed at members who may have had some experience with this situation or Is indeed a member of a loyal order. Thanks again, your insight is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
RH

That's fine but you are likely to get some blank stares at lodge level! The Provincial level would be your best way of dealing with your current concerns and questions. That's what they are there for. Give them a call and pop along to their office for a chat.
Trouillogan

Postby Mike Martin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:58 am

RedHand wrote:Thank you Trouillogan for your reply. I acknowledge that my query is of a colloquial nature.

Hi there,
The problem that you're going to have is numbers.

The Grand Lodge of Ireland has around 30,000 members all told and only a very small amount of those men appear on Masonic discussion forums on the Internet. So it is going to be very difficult for you to get an insight "on-line" and you will most likely have to rely on face to face communication to get what you want. We who are based outside of Ireland can only give you first-hand information about the Lodges where we are or where we have visited and even visit based information may not be accurate as it's not the same as being a member of the Lodge.
Mike Martin

Postby Trouillogan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:53 pm

Mike is absolutely correct. Even though I visit lodges in different parts of Ireland from time to time and correspond with members there, I cannot advise you in any detail. Your provincial office can do that and they will be able to recommend particular lodges that may suit you. When you have joined and settled in, you may wish to look around and perhaps move to a different lodge if yours doesn't quite come up to your expectations. None of us is perfect, so some tolerance may be needed in the interests of harmony.
Trouillogan

Postby RedHand » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:56 pm

I know my query is specific to Ireland but by extension it would also apply to Scotland I suppose. Not to worry I am sure my provincial contact will have some answers to my queries as you suggest. Thanks again.

Regards,
RH
RedHand
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Trouillogan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:24 pm

RedHand wrote:I know my query is specific to Ireland but by extension it would also apply to Scotland I suppose. Not to worry I am sure my provincial contact will have some answers to my queries as you suggest. Thanks again.

Regards,
RH

Indeed, the guys in the office at your provincial headquarters surely will.
Trouillogan

Return to Joining Masonry