Two Nominations for Petition?

How to join and Why?

Moderators: Peter Moir, MrBenn, Peter Taylor, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Two Nominations for Petition?

Postby schapple » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:12 pm

I have read in a number of places that to Petition for membership requires two Masons to nominate, ideally from the Lodge that you are seeking to join?

As a former serviceman, the past 20+ years has seen my family and I either moving every 2-3 years or me overseas, and it is only since leaving, and my childrens schooling, that we have now settled. As a result I don't know any Mason's from the local Lodge. I am meeting the Lodge Secretary in a couple of weeks, but interested in understanding some of the formalities.
Last edited by schapple on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sean
EA
Loyal Vacation Lodge 6209

"secrecy - fidelity - obedience"
schapple
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Re: Two Nominations for Petition?

Postby wayne cowley » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:52 am

Yes you do need two members of a lodge to propose and second you but the Lodge Secretary will arrange for a couple of members to get to know you and possibly invite you to some social events so that this can be sorted out

We are getting used to people approaching freemasonry from the Internet etc these days

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Richard George » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:33 am

If you know a couple of masons from different lodges, get them to write a letter to the lodge secretary; it's helpful to the lodge to get such letters in cases like your as it eases minds as to the suitability of a candidate .. call it a 'reference' if you want'!
Richard George
Craft: Granta 6179, Porta 9511, CIML 7429
RAC: Fidelity 441, Walden 1280, CIP 7429
Mark: York 334
KT: Arthur Dentith 434
A&AR: Octagon 1076, Iceni 1126, Cambs& Isle of Ely 1157
KTP: Clare 74
ROS: East Anglia
Richard George
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Postby mindmagic » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:12 am

Being proposed and seconded for membership is common in many clubs, of course. It's not at all specific to Masonry.
Barry Cooper SLGR LGCR
Goliath Lodge No. 5595, London
Goliath Chapter No. 5595, London
MMM and RAM, Euclid No. 1748, London
AMD, Hertfordshire Council No. 107
mindmagic

Postby schapple » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:38 am

Thanks for replies. From my hobby in polar travel I've always followed the mantras 'understand the outcome' and 'seek local knowledge'.
Last edited by schapple on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sean
EA

schapple
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby rjgs » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi Sean,
Have you been to http://www.ugle.org.uk/index.php/becoming-a-mason? Where are you based?
Best wishes,
Roger.
rjgs

Postby schapple » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:43 pm

Hi Roger,

I'm living in Wiveliscombe, Somerset. Thanks for web link - a useful read.

I've discovered that there is a bewildering amount of material online so its helpful getting a steer towards relevant sites!
Sean
EA

schapple
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Richard George » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:28 am

Richard George
Richard George

Postby schapple » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:34 pm

Many thanks Richard.
Sean
EA

schapple
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby rjgs » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:54 pm

You're very welcome Sean. I was going to suggest http://www.pglsomerset.org.uk/vacation.htm too, but Richard beat me to it.

What about joining a Lodge in Bristol instead? There are many unique customs in Bristol. Their ceremonies are done differently. Their web site is at http://www.provinceofbristol.org.uk/
rjgs

Postby McClef » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:30 am

Bristol would be quite a trek up the M5 as Wiveliscombe is west of Taunton which is convenient for the West Somerset Railway though. (14)
McClef

Postby deepfreeze101 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:39 am

Hi Sean

As a member who was also in your predicament, I also found my way via the internet, from personal experience from initial contact to initiation took just over a year. I found it a painless process, also enjoyable in gettng to know new people, now Brothers.

Useful information for prosepective members on the Grand Lodge website
http://www.ugle.org.uk

All the best in your journey.

Richard
Eastwoodbury Lodge 7922 WM
Tetragon Lodge 6302 MM
Wakering & Barling 9790 MM
Westcliff Chapter 2903
deepfreeze101

Postby schapple » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:54 pm

The local LS is visiting my home next week which my wife and I are looking forward to. I've got a fair grasp of the activities and benefits of freemasonry, which are all very positive from what I've seen, but it will be good to drill a little deeper to determine if its right for me, and if I will be the right fit - round ball or a square cube!

I'm assuming the year+ from initial contact to initiation for candidates unknown to lodge members is due to the time required to work to build relationships outside of gatherings and the Investigative Committee to reach a decision to put a candidate to ballot? Seems rather a long time ?
Last edited by schapple on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sean
EA

schapple
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Lloyd Wiebe » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:17 pm

schapple wrote:The local LS is visiting my home next week which my wife and I are looking forward to. I've got a fair grasp of the activities and benefits of freemasonry, which are all very positive from what I've seen, but it will be good to drill a little deeper to determine if its right for me, and of course if 'I'm the right fit'.

I'm assuming the year+ from initial contact to initiation for candidates unknown to lodge members is due to the time required to work to build relationships outside of gatherings and the Investigative Committee to reach a decision to put a candidate to ballot? Seems rather a long time ?

One of the first things you will find out about Masonry is the pace in which things happen. We are known more as the turtle as opposed to the hare. Some like to say that Masonry is a life time endeavour, and are we in a hurry to meet our creator.
Lloyd Wiebe

Postby Trouillogan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:35 am

schapple wrote:Seems rather a long time ?

Time scales: Glacial, Geological and then there's Masonic!
Trouillogan

Postby Joe » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Sean,
Welcome to the forum.
Those timescales are not unusual and whilst may seem an age away will give both your prospective lodge and you a chance to get to know each other.
As Lloyd said above - its a lifetimes endeavour - waiting a little longer than you might expect isnt necessarily a bad thing. It will give you time to make yourself ready for your entrance into freemasonry.
We have just receved a petition for a new member at our last meeting (7th June 2013) an the proposed candidate is a very close friend of two of the members. Because we are an active lodge with candidates coming in and going through the various degrees the earliest we can initiate them will be March 2014!
So dont be disheartened - the whole getting to know you process is so much more about confirming your reasons for wanting to join than finding reasons not to welcome you.
Joe
Joe Shearer
Craft - PProvGStwd (Essex), 7311 (Essex), 8665 (Essex), 9475 (Herts),
Royal Arch - PProvAGDC (Essex), 5705 (Essex), 8665 (Essex), 3256 (Essex), 7897 (Essex)

Nosce Te Ipsum
Joe

Postby Richard George » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:19 pm

schapple wrote:I'm assuming the year+ from initial contact to initiation for candidates unknown to lodge members is due to the time required to work to build relationships outside of gatherings and the Investigative Committee to reach a decision to put a candidate to ballot? Seems rather a long time ?

Actually, if you consider the procedures that have to be followed; notice of proposition, formal proposal, ballot, initiation (these being the common procedures and occurring over consecutive meetings) and even if the ballot and initiation take place on the same evening (not a good idea! avoid surprises!!) - and allowing for the fact that a lodge may already have one or two waiting to join ... and then allowing for a lodge to have 4-5 meetings a year, one of which is the Installation and most of these being between Oct-May, a year is not too surprising - even if the candidate is known. Especially as those proposing you will likely to want to spend a little time getting to know you. Note that the Book of Constitutions only specifies that someone who has received a successful ballot has to be initiated with a year.
Richard George
Richard George

Postby schapple » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:02 pm

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the responses. As an 'outsider making a cold call' as it were, the posts are very helpful in putting things in perspective, balancing my expectations and equipping me with some questions for my home visit next week.

I haven't quite joined the dots up on how a Lodge would get to know a candidate if no one can couch for him at the outset. Are their opportunities for potential candidates to meet lodges (open social events and the like ) as I'm assuming with only 4-5 or gatherings a year they will be for closed formal occasions to undertake the activities already mentioned.

I'm assuming also that it may be of value to decide which Lodge you would like to approach as your 'mother Lodge' depending on how active you want to be, as some appear more active than others.
Sean
EA

schapple
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Richard George » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:56 pm

There are quite likely to be social events that you can go to. Ask the secretary if there is a Ladies night coming up .. that's often an ideal one, as it gives your partner a chance to meet some of the other wives. Another possibility is to ask if they have a 'white table' meeting. These are when, instead of the traditional Festive Board, the dinner following the meeting is open to men interested in joining. It's run exactly the same as a traditional Festive Board, but without masonic-specific bits.

And yes; the 4/5 meetings I'm referring to are the actual meetings of the lodge; not including any social events.
Richard George
Richard George

Postby schapple » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:58 pm

Many thanks Richard, comments noted and added to my list of q's for next week.
Sean
EA

schapple
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Next

Return to Joining Masonry