Rank in Freemasonry

Reports and comments concerning UGLE

Moderators: MrBenn, JulesTheBit, middlepillar

Rank in Freemasonry

Postby Flaxgord » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:57 pm

I have a question for Bro's, can a MM get promoted without going through the chair or becoming an officer of the Craft Lodge? If not why not? Just thinking out loud!

Mark
Kr's

Mark
St Marks 6969
Flaxgord
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Re: Rank in Freemasonry

Postby Janner » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:40 pm

We have a number of brethren in our province that have not been through the chair. The apron is the same but with rosettes rather than levels. It is an honour normally conferred on long serving brethren who have contributed to the lodge in some way (e.g Treasurer, Organist, Secretary, etc).
S&F
Janner

PrJGD, Asst Sec - St Peters Lodge 1125
PPrAGSwdB, DC- St Peters HRA Chapter 1125
PPrJGD, DC - St Peters Mark Lodge 187
30th Degree, Prelate - St Peters in Tiverton Chapter Rose Croix 741
VIII Grade, PrGSec - Blaise Pascal College SRIA 70
Janner
LRUK Grand Supreme Master

Rank in Freemasonry

Postby Flaxgord » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:02 pm

Can I ask something possibly controversial, I was talking to a Bro earlier today over a cuppa and his view is that Craft is top heavy with senior officers, is this something others feel is the case.
Kr's

Mark
St Marks 6969
Flaxgord
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby gord_vokes » Wed May 01, 2013 12:33 am

Flaxgord wrote:Can I ask something possibly controversial, I was talking to a Bro earlier today over a cuppa and his view is that Craft is top heavy with senior officers, is this something others feel is the case.

Perhaps or perhaps not, depends on who you talk to. Time and customs change, our Fraternity is almost 300 yr old, surely there are customs left from the Empire and Raj. But most brethren I speak with are more interested in other parts of the craft and there are lots to go round: History, Philosophy, Ethics and of course Relief, Brotherhood and Truth. My guess is that if a brother is a Senior Statesman, then he probably earned it.
Gord Vokes PDDGM
Lodge Southern Cross, No. 44
Grand Lodge of British Columbia & Yukon
gord_vokes

Postby wayne cowley » Wed May 01, 2013 5:50 am

Flaxgord wrote:Can I ask something possibly controversial, I was talking to a Bro earlier today over a cuppa and his view is that Craft is top heavy with senior officers, is this something others feel is the case.

I think that there is probably a distinction to be drawn between those who hold a rank because they are doing a particular job (or have done that job in the past) and those who have been given a "past rank" as an honorific

For the latter, I far prefer the London model where they have London Rank (for those brethren who have not been through the Chair), London Grand Rank and Senior London Grand Rank. This allows the contribution that these brethren have made be recognised without the silliness that is often seen - "he got Past this-or-that while I only got Past whatchamacallit" (16)

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrBenn » Wed May 01, 2013 7:12 am

How do you define a 'senior officer'?

Do you mean 'in posession of a dark blue apron'?

Or do you mean 'a member of PGL/GL with a job to do'?
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

mail me : mrbenn@lodgeroomuk.com
MrBenn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Richard George » Wed May 01, 2013 7:20 am

It really depends on what you mean by 'senior rank'. Remember that everyone that holds Provincial or Grand Rank are still just Master Masons. I know a number of 'senior' masons - what you probably mean are Grand Officers, who have received recognition by virtue of the services they've given to the Province, who will still pick the phone up and ask advice about something or other. They are exactly the same as you or me; they've just given their time over a number of years and as a result Grand Lodge or the Province have said 'thank you' by giving them an appointment (for that, read - "ask them to fork out cash to buy more regalia" - suggest you investigate the cost of accepting such an appointment!).
Richard George
Craft: Granta 6179, Porta 9511, CIML 7429
RAC: Fidelity 441, Walden 1280, CIP 7429
Mark: York 334
KT: Arthur Dentith 434
A&AR: Octagon 1076, Iceni 1126, Cambs& Isle of Ely 1157
KTP: Clare 74
ROS: East Anglia
Richard George

Postby Trouillogan » Wed May 01, 2013 12:21 pm

That is a very good question, Flaxgord, and one which confuses people no end, the world over! If you really want to know, then this paper is being delivered at Quatuor Coronati Lodge on 9th May (see: http://www.quatuorcoronati.com/):

‘Past Grand Rank’
Due to Bro John Mandleberg’s recent demise, this paper will be delivered on his behalf and in his memory by Bro John Wade

Summary To an unbiased observer, and here must be included members of many other jurisdictions, it is curious that under the United Grand Lodge of England not only are there thousands of Past Grand Officers who have never filled any Office in Grand Lodge, but that there is a hierarchy among them within which they may be artificially promoted to a higher Past Grand Rank. This has become established custom and practice at least since 1910. While promotion ‘on the ladder’ in a Lodge from active Office to active Office is an evidently rational proceeding, this progression among Past Ranks without the brother in question ever having held active Office is more difficult to explain to an outsider. Bro. John Mandleberg examines how this procedure evolved and what effect it had on the proceedings of Grand Lodge.
Trouillogan

Postby EssexMason » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:41 pm

We all belong to Freemasonry for different and personal reasons. If some brethren crave constant promotion for whatever reason,
let them get on with it. It doesn't worry me in the slightest.
EssexMason
LRUK Fellow
LRUK  Fellow

Postby admin » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:32 pm

So long as all are treated equally I donot see why it should be a worry who is called what.

So long as you know your own worth then Freemasonry has done the job it set out to do !

It is not Freemasonry that promotes and proclaims it is the individuals within it. If it is important to you then God Bless you, if it is not then you won't worry will you.
Bill McElligott [PPGJW - PPGASoj]
admin@lodgeroomstore.com -
The Masonic Brotherhood of The Blue Forget-Me-Not

http://lodgeroomstore.co.uk/LRstore/
http://sell-buy.net/info/
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Hemlock » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:32 pm

I know this can be divisive but on the whole the Provincial system appears to work well. Not having reached such elevated heights myself. From my lodges the deserved have been treated well, those who put extra effort in better. No harm in that. A number of brethren who have done nothing since IPM do like a moan. Secretary, Treasurer and DCs looked after, rightly so.

Once my letter arrives will come back and have a good winge.
Hemlock
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby CoventrySquared » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:44 pm

Received my 1st appointment letter on Saturday for Warwickshire. I'm very pleased (7)
For information on Freemasonry in or around Coventry goto http://www.coventrysquared.com
CoventrySquared
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Hemlock » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:55 pm

Congratulations, don't keep me in suspense though, waddidya get?

It's really refreshing to hear a happy appointee.
Hemlock
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby CoventrySquared » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:18 pm

Hemlock wrote:Congratulations, don't keep me in suspense though, waddidya get?

It's really refreshing to hear a happy appointee.

Acting ProvSGD
For information on Freemasonry in or around Coventry goto http://www.coventrysquared.com
CoventrySquared
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby wayne cowley » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:43 am

Many congratulations

Wayne
PM Hamlet of Van Lodge 8334 UGLE (Caerphilly - South Wales); PZ Hamlet of Van Chapter 8334
PM, Caerffili MMM 1348; PCN, Caerffili RAM 1348; St Teilo Chapter A&AR 789; Brangwyn SRIA 75;
Castell Caerffili OSM 466; Fforest KT 582: Merthyr Tydfil R&SM 120, Athelstan 53; Dyfrig Sant RCC 295; Salem KTP 100; OSC 21 TI; SToA 31; AMD 53; Operatives, ROS
wayne cowley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Hemlock » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:20 am

Thats a big wow and must be well deserved. Congratulations. Acting rank is huge.

Mine from Essex has arrived, not acting rank I'm afraid, live in Nottinghamshire so its a bit of a treck. I got PProvAGReg.

Delighted! Need to write it out 100 times just to learn it. Wonder what an Assistant Registrar does?
Hemlock
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby CoventrySquared » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:45 pm

PProvAGReg is pretty good, well done
CoventrySquared
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby Hemlock » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:56 pm

Thanks Coventry Squared.

It is more than I expected anyway. I just do charity steward and a bit of ritual in Essex. Far more Active in Notts where, in theory, there could be an appointment too this year but not to worry. I have all the gear now, off ebay, waiting for the 27th March for investment at GQS.
Hemlock
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

Postby JulesTheBit » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:30 pm

Hemlock wrote:Thanks Coventry Squared.

It is more than I expected anyway. I just do charity steward and a bit of ritual in Essex. Far more Active in Notts where, in theory, there could be an appointment too this year but not to worry. I have all the gear now, off ebay, waiting for the 27th March for investment at GQS.

I'll be there if I can, but there's no leave available at work for the whole of March :(
I'll have to make sure the boss owes me a favour :)

S&F, Jules
JulesTheBit

Postby Hemlock » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:41 am

That would be fun, think a couple are up from Essex and my mate from Notts wants to come too, just to see. Don't want to eat in the Connaught rooms, last time was an expensive waste.
Hemlock
LRUK Newbie
LRUK  Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to United Grand Lodge of England